Monday, July 18, 2011

Southeastern Turkey Take 2



This is my second visit to Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Harran, and Gobekli tepi. I visited this region with my friend, Christy, last spring break. But as this was one of my favorite areas of Turkey, I wanted to go back one more time and share it with Randy. We started off in Gaziantep. I didn't take too many pictures as I'd taken loads last year, but here's a quick photo tour of the sites we saw:

The old citadel:




The copper merchants:



An old hamam:



We flew into Gaziantep mainly to see the famous Mosaic museum that had reportedly finally opened after months of restoration. But we were sad to find out this was just a myth. So that evening we took the 2-hour bus ride further east to Sanliurfa. This is Balikli Golu, or Fish Lake, the supposed site where the prophet Abraham was forced to jump by a king who wanted him dead into a pit of fire, but the fire turned to water and the burning logs to fish.



The next day we rented a car to drive to Gobekli tepe and Harran. The last time I went to Gobekli tepe, it was featured in Smithsonian magazine. This time, it was in the current issue of National Geographic, which Randy brought with her.






The day we drove to Harran and Gobekli Tepe, it was 113 degrees Fahrenheit, so no pictures of Harran survived :)

No comments: